Do you read newspapers daily? If not, start today. Start by reading any novel, magazine, basically anything that interests you. You can then move onto reading English newspapers, which would help you with your reading skills and improve your Current Affairs section. English section of CLAT is very important.
We are sharing some expert tips, so you know how to prepare for CLAT exam and maximize your English section score.
English Language Important Topics
Here are some important topics of the English Language section. Aspirants should focus on these topics while preparing for CLAT.
Idioms and Phrases
Fill in the Blanks
Foreign Language Words
English Language Preparation Tips
Plan a Preparation Strategy
Before starting with the preparation:
- Make a blueprint of your strategy.
- Calculate the time you require to complete your syllabus and revise the course.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus more on your problematic areas.
Read the Opinion and Editorial section of the newspaper.
The new exam pattern will test your understanding of the English language. It is for your own good because you will have to read a lot and process the information quickly to conclude once you enter the law field.
Do not waste your money on buying multiple English books.
Candidates often waste time on solving multiple books. English Language books usually have similar content so concentrate more on online quizzes and tests to improve your skills.
Focus on Improvement
To improve your grasp on the Language, you can also watch Youtube videos, listen to podcasts or watch some English web-series. Try communicating with people in English in your daily lives.
Topic-wise English Preparation Tips
Vocabulary is an ocean of new words. When your reading at home stop at every difficult word. Note that word, its meaning, synonyms and antonyms in your notebook for you to revise it later.
Vocabulary-based questions include Synonyms, Antonyms, Idioms, Spellcheck, Synonyms, Foreign Language words. Remembering multiple words is not humanly possible, so candidates should revise and use new words on a regular basis.
Practice a lot of quizzes based on the English language. Divide it into Vocabulary-based questions, Comprehension-based questions, and Grammar-based questions.
In the English section of CLAT, passages of 450 words shall be given.
Before reading the passage, you should give a glance at the questions once. When you read the questions, you’ll have an idea about where to stop in the passage for the answers.
Try to solve at least one comprehension-based question every day to prepare thoroughly and to maintain your speed in the exam. While practising, try to draw the inferences, visualize the passage, identify the tone and purpose of the passage. Track the time you are taking to solve a single passage and improve accordingly.
It is advisable to buy a basic English grammar book like Wren and Martin. You need to learn the basic Grammar rules to crack the questions in the exam. Pay attention to every little detail while solving the test. Start thinking in English, frame sentences in your head, find mistakes, and rectify them simultaneously. It is not a one day process, so make this a habit and inculcate it in your daily lives.
Takeaways for English Preparation of CLAT Exam
- Try to identify your strength and weakness in the English section. Figure out where your problem lie, be it reading, comprehensive passage or vocabulary and work on solving the problem.
- Practice every day. Solve mock tests, practice and exercise as many quizzes as possible.
- Understand the correct approach to solve your questions.
- Make a habit of reading every day. Read newspapers, books or novels. This practice will help to enhance your vocabulary and decrease your reading time.
- Make a habit of jotting down the important things, any unfamiliar words, or important Grammar rules.
- Do not panic while taking tests. Keep calm and rock the exam.
Leave a Reply