When you are prepping for CLAT, it is important that you devote sufficient time to each section so you can get the desired rank to qualify for the exam. To help you prepare better, we will talk about the CLAT English Language section in detail in this article.
About 20% (28-32 questions) in the paper are asked from the English section. Each question carries one mark, and 0.25 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer. This is an easy section to crack if you focus on improving your reading speed and vocabulary. Let’s look at some other tips to ace the English section.
How to Improve English for CLAT?
Students can prepare for this section by improving their reading speed. There are at least 5-10 questions based on Reading Comprehension under the English section.
- The level of reading comprehension is easy to moderate, but the passages are lengthy. Therefore students need to inculcate the practice of reading and comprehending simultaneously. To improve their reading speed, students need to start reading newspapers, articles, magazines, books, preferably an editorial or opinion page of the newspaper.
- The major challenge is to complete the section in the given time. You can devote 6-8 minutes to this topic. So start practicing the questions accordingly by monitoring the time.
- The common vocabulary-based questions asked in the English section are Synonyms, Antonyms, Spellcheck, Idioms, Foreign Language words.
- To ace this part, you should solve daily quizzes of synonyms, antonyms, etc., because your mind can’t retain words by merely memorizing them.
- You can improve your vocabulary by reading a book/newspaper and learning new words, and using them while communicating.
- Vocabulary can only be strengthened by making it a habit. Every time you learn a new word, make sure you look up to its meaning and revise them periodically.
- Also, some foreign words and their meanings are asked. So it is advisable to learn these words since they are new to you.
Also read: How to prepare for CLAT 2022: Syllabus, Books, Tips
This section can be tricky if you don’t know the basics of Grammar because most students are confused about the basic structure of a sentence.
- Most of the students follow the “sounds right” approach, but it doesn’t work like that in Grammar. You need to be aware of the basic rules of Grammar.
- The type of questions asked in the exam may vary in every paper, so it is advisable to understand the English Grammar concepts and keep on practicing daily.
What are the best books for CLAT English Preparation?
Books play an important role in helping you crack the CLAT exam 2022. Focus on the below-mentioned books to gain the necessary knowledge to crack the exam.
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- English is Easy by Chetananand Singh
- 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
- Barron’s Pocket Guide to Vocabulary
- Objective General English by RS Aggarwal
- High School English Grammar and Composition by Wren & Martin
- Six Weeks by Wilfred Funk
- Better English by Norman Lewis
Tips & Tricks to Prepare for CLAT English Language
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses in the English section. For example, figure out the topics you find difficult, be it vocabulary, reading comprehension, or Grammar, and then work on them to improve.
- Before starting, it is important for the candidates to know the detailed CLAT English syllabus. It will help you know easy and difficult topics and work accordingly. Prepare a plan as per the syllabus and start your preparation.
- Solve previous year’s question paper and CLAT mock tests on a regular basis as it will help to improve their speed, accuracy, and time-management skills. Also, practicing mock tests daily will help students learn different techniques to solve a question which will help them handle different types of questions easily in the exam.
- Analyzing mock tests is equally important as taking mock tests. It will help you know the different types of questions asked in the exam, the difficulty level of the paper, and the marking scheme. Most importantly, it will help you analyze your preparation and improve your weak areas.
The Last Word
We hope these preparation tips will help you prepare for the English section. Make judicious use of your preparation period and work hard to grab a seat in your dream college.
All the Best!
Leave a Reply