CLAT entrance exam is conducted every year to grant admissions to students in the undergraduate and postgraduate program offered by NLUs and other law colleges accepting CLAT scores. You can take our CLAT Online Classes to prepare your best and crack your dream NLU. National Law Universities grant reservation of seats to many candidates falling under various categories. All the NLUs have different reservation policies. The reservation criteria are considered post the CLAT result and seat allotment process of the university. NLU seat allocation needs to be known by you.
NLU Seat Matrix
NLUs segregate the seats based on the category of the candidates. The total number of seats offered by NLUs in 2021 is around 2175. The distribution is done considering the following category of seats:
- The number of seats offered to the candidates of the state where NLUs are located is 621.
- The number of All India Seats for the undergraduate programme in NLUs is 1308.
- The number of Special Category seats available is 235.
Important Facts About NLU Seats 2021
- The seats offered by the NLUs will be divided into categories notified by the universities.
- Most of the NLUs offer domicile reservation. This will result in all India seat reduction. But, if candidates are applying under the domicile category, they require a valid domicile certificate.
- NLSIU Banglore doesn’t have a reservation for the domicile category.
- At present, 22 national law universities and more than 50 law colleges will offer admissions by accepting CLAT scores.
- For the general category candidates, the NLUs will offer more than 1450 seats in a 5-year integrated LLB course.
- 18 NLUs are offering LLM courses in India, and more than 440 seats are available for general category candidates.
Categories of Reservation at NLUs
Here are some domains that fall under the reservation category. Candidates can consider this list to adhere to the reservation policies of the NLUs.
- Scheduled Caste (SC)
- Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Other Backward Categories (OBC)
- Physically Disable Candidates (PwD)
- Kashmiri Migrants
- Foreign National Candidates/NRI
- Candidates belonging from the North Eastern States
- State Quota for the candidates where NLU is located
Options after NLU Seat Allotment
After each round of CLAT 2021 seat allotment, candidates are given the following options;
- Reserve seats and upload documents, and pay the NLU fee – Once the seat is accepted, the candidate need to pay the NLU fee and complete the admission formalities.
- Apply if you want an upgrade, then submit documents, and pay NLU fees – The upgrade option is available for the students who don’t want to NLU allotted to them. It allows the candidates to choose any other national law university from the NLU preference given them.
- Exit admission process – The candidates may exercise the Exit option if they are unwilling to accept the NLU allotted by the consortium.
Keep These Few Things In Mind
Students eyeing on NLUs tend to drop out more in case they are unable to secure one. And some non-serious contenders decide to chase other career options or plan to retake the exam next year. But you don’t have to pressurize yourself beyond a certain point. Give your best and keep your fingers crossed you’ll rock it.
If it is your dream to be in one of the top NLUs, you can take our Law Entrance Coaching for CLAT and work hard to achieve your dreams. You might want to make another attempt at cracking it. But please make sure you do it in parallel with your ongoing studies or as a working professional. Do not take a complete break for a year because it doesn’t work that way. Life is all about multitasking, so you can go for it, and why take an unnecessary gap in your academic career. In the end, it depends on your decision; choose wisely.
Don’t Reject In Haste
If you’re selected by a low-ranking NLU or any other good law school, don’t reject merely based on the ranking of the institute. It is better if you do your own research before choosing the law school because many of them don’t participate in all India ranking exercises every year. Also, not all ranking surveys are equally credible.
Consult a mentor
Choosing a law school is a crucial decision in a students life. So they should consult mentors or other students from reputed law schools or students who are in the test preparation segment for a neutral opinion. Most importantly, make sure to do your own research and then take the decision. Remember, you are planning to invest your time, money and energy for the next few years with any decision that you take.
All the best for excellent decision making!
Leave a Reply