Law in India can be a fantastic and lucrative career choice. You can protect the interest of many people by becoming a lawyer and providing legal advice. In addition to the intangible, abstract success of being a lawyer, the legal field has also got plenty of materialistic offerings for the candidates.
How to Take Up Law as a Career in India?
We will have a brief overview of how students can take up law as their career in India.
Step 1: To Decide That You Want a Career in Law
Many students and their parents have a misconception that one has to be associated with the humanities stream to take up law as their career in the future. Some people also believe in the myth that students who have not had any history or civics background in their Plus Two studies are not quite eligible to study law courses after 12th.
These confusions must be cleared in the first place. It is essential to understand that students from any stream of studies can take up law as their career. Undoubtedly, if a student has some knowledge about political science, history, civics, and economics, it can help them clear the CLAT exam quickly. For candidates who wish to take up Criminal law as their forte, psychology as a subject can also help significantly.
Step 2: Choose Either a 5 Year Integrated L.L.B. Course or 3 Year L.L.B. Course
In India: One can become a lawyer by opting for either of the two following ways:
- Pursue a complete 5-year L.L.B. program starting right after class 12th. Get into a law college after completing your high school studies.
- The second way is that you can pursue a 3-year L.L.B. program after a graduation course. This is primarily applicable to students who have already graduated in some field and now prefer to take up law as their prospect.
Let us briefly discuss the two types of Programs for law study in India
- Five-year L.L.B. program:
This is an Integrated course. You can choose any one of the following 5 Year L.L.B. streams:
- B.A. L.L.B. (Hons)
- B.Sc L.L.B (Hons)
- B.B.A. L.L.B. (Hons)
- B.Com L.L.B (Hons)
In these courses, you will be doing three years of graduation (BBA / BA/ B.Sc) and its interdisciplinary study of law. And the next two years will be exclusively dedicated to law studies. The benefit of this modality is that you save one year compared to people who are doing a 3-year L.L.B. program after graduation. Second, this program shall give you the best insights into law from multiple backgrounds and angles that shall enhance your professional capabilities and open new opportunities for you.
Also read: How to prepare for CLAT exam
The best institutes for pursuing a 5-year L.L.B. program in India
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- West Bengal National University of Judicial Sciences (Kolkata)
- National Law University (New Delhi)
- National Law University (Bhopal)
- National Law University (Jodhpur)
These are esteemed institutes in India from where you can pursue five years integrated L.L.B. course.
The next question arises: What do I need to get into these institutes? The answer is that: You need to clear any or some of the entrance exams listed below.
- CLAT: It is a very popular law entrance examination in India. Almost all the law colleges and institutes in India accept CLAT scores for admission. This is a comprehensive CBT-based test.
- AILET: The All India Law Entrance Test is conducted by the National Law University of Delhi for admission to their five years integrated L.L.B. program
- LSAT: The Law School Admission Test is not as popular compared to the previous two. But the scores are applicable and accepted by many private law colleges in India, such as the S.R.M. University Faculty of Law.
Also read: Toppers Tips to Prepare For CLAT exam
Study Law in India After Graduation
If you are not going for a 5-year integrated L.L.B. course and wish to pursue law after your graduation, you can still take up law as a career by pursuing the three-year L.L.B. program. The institutes that offer the 5 Years L.L.B. program are the same ones that offer a 3-years L.L.B. program. Benaras Hindu University is s prestigious institute in India that offers three years of law courses. Also, the entrance exams applicable for the five years L.L.B. course are the same ones that apply for the 3-year course. In addition, you can also opt for the following entrance tests when opting for 3-year courses:
- Delhi University L.L.B. Entrance Exam
- Benaras Hindu University (B.H.U.) L.L.B. Entrance exam
- M.H. C.E.T. (For Maharashtra Law Colleges)
There are various law domains in India that you can specialize in. For example:
- Civil law
- Tax law
- Criminal law
- Corporate law
- Intellectual property law
- Environmental law
Your proficiency and practice will secure your position and worth as a lawyer. If you plan to take up a career in law in India, then start working hard right from this day. Join some reputed coaching centers for better guidance.
Leave a Reply